We have a range of products to assist you in getting your DVS vehicle permits.
What is the Direct Vision Standard?
All Heavy Goods Vehicles that are over 12 tonnes either entering or operating in Greater London will need to be in possession of a valid safety permit as part of the Direct Vision Standard (DVS).
The DVS scheme has been introduced by Transport for London (TFL) as a result of a number of collisions and fatalities involving Heavy Goods Vehicles in the Greater London area. The aim of the scheme is to improve safety for cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists within the Greater London area and is due to be introduced from 26th October 2020 and will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
What do you need to get a permit?
Every vehicle will receive a permit which is ‘star rated’ and must be a minimum of one star. Three, four and five star vehicles will receive a 10 year permit, whereas one and two star rated vehicles will only receive permits until 2020.
Vehicles with a zero star rating can receive a permit until 2024 by installing an approved ‘Safe System’ to reduce the risk to other road users which is aligned with other scheme requirements such as FORS.
What safety equipment needs to be installed for a zero starred vehicle to receive a permit?
- Side Scan Sensors – A series of proximity sensors fitted around the nearside of the vehicle which alert the driver if a road issue is situated at the near side of the vehicle
- Left Turn Alarm – audible alarm that alerts road users and pedestrians if the vehicle is turning left
- Blind Spot Camera – Fitted on the near side of the vehicle, this connects to the in cab monitor so the driver has full visibility of the blind spot of their vehicle
- In Cab Monitor – Allows the driver to have a view of his vehicle and in particular a full view of his blind spot camera when turning left
- Safety Stickers – Fitted in a prominent position to alert pedestrians and cyclists
- Class V and VI Mirrors – Providing an improved view of blind spots
- Under Run Protection – Fitted on both sides of the vehicle which prevents road users from being dragged under the HGV
Centrad has a full range of camera systems, left turn alarms, monitors and side scanner units which can help your fleet become DVS compliant.
Why Choose Centrad?
100% satisfaction guarantee – if you are not completely satisfied with our products you get a complete refund. It is as simple as that.
Over 10 years experience and a network of fully qualified and insured installers
In the unlikely event of something going wrong with our products, you are covered by our full 2-year warranty.
Unlimited lifetime support. We are here to help every step of the way.
Real time tracking with CENLive
CENLive is a user friendly service supplied by Centrad to help you monitor your fleet in real time with full live / remote viewing of video footage and GPS tracking.
Our CENLive system also allows you to access you to also view and playback footage remotely from the vehicle, removing the requirement for having to wait for the vehicle to return back to depot and remove the hard drive. Reduces the hassle and time of plugging your DVR into your computer systems to retrieve data after an incident.
Why choose Centrad?
We’re the only providers who are also fleet operators
You get unlimited support and training with our experts
Our pricing is simple, upfront and honest…just like us!
Our installation is nationwide - and pretty quick too!
Need some help choosing the right FORS package for your fleet?
Hi, I am Geoff, Managing Director. If you can’t find what you’re looking for or need a bit of guidance with the best solution for your vehicles then we’re always happy to help.