**UPDATED** DVS enforcement delayed until March 2021 – read more
From 26th October 2020, all Heavy Goods Vehicles that are over 12 tonnes either entering or operating in Greater London will need to be in possession of a valid safety permit as part of the Direct Vision Standard (DVS).
The DVS scheme has been introduced by Transport for London (TFL) as a result of a number of collisions and fatalities involving Heavy Goods Vehicles in the Greater London area. The aim of the scheme is to improve safety for cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists within the Greater London area and is due to be introduced from 26th October 2020 and will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Every vehicle will receive a permit which is ‘star rated’ and must be a minimum of one star. Three, four and five star vehicles will receive a 10 year permit, whereas one and two star rated vehicles will only receive permits until 2020.
Vehicles with a zero star rating can receive a permit until 2024 by installing an approved ‘Safe System’ to reduce the risk to other road users which is aligned with other scheme requirements such as FORS.
Click here to find out your vehicle’s rating
What safety equipment needs to be installed for a zero starred vehicle to receive a permit?
- Side Scan Sensors – A series of proximity sensors fitted around the nearside of the vehicle which alert the driver if a road issue is situated at the near side of the vehicle
- Left Turn Alarm – audible alarm that alerts road users and pedestrians if the vehicle is turning left
- Blind Spot Camera – Fitted on the near side of the vehicle, this connects to the in cab monitor so the driver has full visibility of the blind spot of their vehicle
- In Cab Monitor – Allows the driver to have a view of his vehicle and in particular a full view of his blind spot camera when turning left
- Safety Stickers – Fitted in a prominent position to alert pedestrians and cyclists
- Class V and VI Mirrors – Providing an improved view of blind spots
- Under Run Protection – Fitted on both sides of the vehicle which prevents road users from being dragged under the HGV
Centrad has a full range of camera systems, left turn alarms, monitors and side scanner units which can help your fleet become DVS compliant.
If you would like to discuss any DVS requirements for your fleet vehicles, simply call 0121 696 4784 and we’ll be happy to help or contact us here and one of our advisors will in touch.
You can also click here to read the full requirements for DVS or to apply for your permit